From:
Mark Bahti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 11:40:28 -0700
Just an observation, based on years in retail and experience with museums -
in some areas, like the Indian arts field, amateur collectors are as likely
to buy, sell and trade as "non-amateurs". A major force in the field can
easily be someone with so much income that his or her collecting activity
is, in their mind, a hobby. (I know of individuals who have more money to
apply to their hobby as amateur collectors than I do as a dealer.)

When a museum looks to them for advice or aid, he or she is likely to
recommend people that they have done business with or artists they collect
(and therefore have a vested interest in promoting).

Collectors on a board or in any other advisory capacity are certainly very
useful resources, but one that museums need to use with caution and
oversight. In the Indian arts field I have seen repeated abuses - abuses
that have brought income to the collector, collector-board member,
collector-donor, collector-sponsor. In a worse-case scenario, a certain
dealer, who identifies himself primarily as a collector (complete with a
'collection')  in Navajo weavings, with a criminal record, was allowed to
exhibit at a museum, thereby giving him a certain credibility and standing
that clearly he did not warrant.

Distinguishing between amateur collectors and dealers is a useless exercise.
The same pitfalls exist and they are numerous and accumulative. And I say
this as a dealer.

Mark Bahti