From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:49:43 -0600

Christopher,

I think the gist of your message was that all technology becomes obsolete,

and all of our new and cool stuff will do so in time. We have no choice but

to do the best we can now, while looking to the future, or we will lose the

opportunities we have now.

We have been talking and researching for years to determine the "archival"

nature of new media. The need to migrate them to newer media as they come

about is a given, and should be incorporated into any policy on the

creation and management of digital archives.

The problem is that the new media have been developing faster than we can

determine their longevity. DVDs came out about the time we figured out that

CDs actually do deteriorate over time. After about 10 years or so, they

will start to lose small bits of data, which will eventually destroy the

integrity of the information on the disk. The same thing that happens to

VHS tapes, but at a much slower rate. DVDs are the same technology as CDs.

CDs and DVDs are NOT to be considered permanently stable. No matter what

the reps tell you, they are not going to last forever, whether you store

the in the right conditions in a polyethylene sleeve or not. Plan on

testing and recopying these media at regular intervals to prevent data

loss. I have no specific information on "gold CDs" etc, but I would not

count on them being much more stable than any other. The color comes from

the coating on the upper surface of the disk, and has no effect on the

stability of the data stored on the disk itself.

None of this should have any effect on the ability of any institution to

collect and preserve oral histories, or whatever form of data the chose. We

just have to think a little farther ahead.

Mark Janzen

Registrar/Collections Manager

Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art

Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection

Wichita State University

(316)978-5850

             "Christopher J.

             Dawson"

             <[log in to unmask]                                          To

             Sent by: Museum                                            cc

             discussion list

             <[log in to unmask]                                     Subject

             SE.LSOFT.COM>             Re: Audio Visual equipment.

             02/12/2004 01:28

             PM

             Please respond to

             Museum discussion

                   list

               SE.LSOFT.COM>

You say you don’t want to use “obsolete technology,” but be careful ...

Some of the “new” digital technology is flashy and cool (especially when

you’re trying to get donors to cough up money to help your institution to

pay for it), but the material made on that new technology is often not good

for long-term archival storage.  You have to think of that long-term

storage need, and the need to make the material accessible.  Yes, you can

record oral histories digitally, on a DAT or even on a recordable CD, and

that’s a good stable medium ... But then you put them away in the archives,

and in decades someone wants to pull out that oral history ... And no one

has a CD player to listen to the disk!

That’s sort of a worst-case scenario, and it can be overcome, but it

requires a commitment down the road to move the “data” (the interview) from

the media it is on, to whatever becomes the new “standard.”

Same for video histories ... You can do some nice work with a digital

camcorder, but make sure soon after you’re done that you make VHS copies,

so that the interviews are accessible to researchers cheaply.  You might

also want to copy the interviews onto DVD, but again, make sure in years to

come that if a new media form comes out that becomes a “standard” like

DVD/CD is now, that you convert the interviews to that new format.

Oral histories are like fine wine ... They become better and more valued

with age.  But they can become worthless if not stored properly.

--

Christopher J. Dawson

Curator of Urban and Industrial History

Western Reserve Historical Society

10825 East Boulevard

Cleveland, Ohio 44106

216-721-5722 x247

"History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are

and why we are the way we are." -- David McCullough

Subscriber Information:

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at

read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).