From:
Adriaan Linters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 16:00:28 +0200
There was a splendid museum on the history of gas in Leuven, but recently
the owner (Electrabel - the company who has almost the monopoly on gas and
electricity production in Belgium) decided to close it. Objects seem to
have gone to different other museums, but rumours tell that part of the
collection has been dispersed - including the objects that weren't kept in
the museum but in their storage. There are also rumours that parts of this
collection was sold to foreign collectors or museums.
The "Vlaamse Vereniging voor Industriële Archeologie" (VVIA - Flemish
Association for Industrial Archaeology) is actually trying to find out what
really did happen with the collection, and why this decision was taken.
A report will be placed as soon as possible on the website of the Flemish
Association for Industrial Archaeology.
Also both electricity collections (at Zwevegem and at Langerbrugge) seem to
be endangered. The buildings recently have been listed as historic
monuments - which made Electrabel so furious that they closed them to the
public and that they now start to dismantle their 'museum' . More details
will be announced soon via the and a call for support will be launched soon
via the VVIA website.
I will post this information evenso to Museum-L

The website of the Flemish Association for Industrial Archaeology is at:
http://www.conservare.be/vvia/ - They have a complete list of all Flemish
industrial and technical museums on their website.
One can e-mail them at : mailto:[log in to unmask]

Greetings

Adriaan Linters