Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 09:49:20 -0600
Dr. McCartney:
I am a graduate of two museum studies programs.  I have a minor at the
B.A. level which I coupled with anthropology and an M.A. in Museum Studies
with a concentration in anthropology.  My major beef was with my graduate
experience.  The program I graduated from (University of Kansas)was too
narrow.  My specialization within anthropology is African Studies.  More
specifically I study African material culture.  Despite fieldwork
experience in AFrica and committment to my field, I was not allowed to
take African art courses at KU and apply them to my degree.  I also had
friends who would have liked to dip into architecture and more mainstream
art history.  Unfortunately, our administration here both in Museum
STudies and art history have been most unhelpful.  Needless to say I took
those AFrican art courses on my own time and money.

Aonther issue is that our program was terminal. We did not have to write a
thesis and therefore there are very few, if any programs that will accept
our graduates as Ph.D candidates.  Currently, I am fighting this battle at
KU and hope to enter the Ph.D. program in the fall of 1999 (within
anthropology).  I would strongly suggest that you require your students to
write a thesis.  To say that it is not important to a museum professional
is silly.  I think any written experience is beneficial.  God knows we all
need to be grant writing and submitting work for publications just to keep
up.  Also, it gives those students who want to go on for a Ph.D more
options and simply more credibility.

I think its important to give students as many options as possible in
their program- even the thesis which they might balk at.  Also, surround
your students with working and well connected professionals who will be
able to advise the students as they enter the work force.

I'm done.  Thanks for asking.

Jill Brush
student and Curator of History, Johnson County Museum of History, Shawnee,
KS