From:
Ed Pershey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 1994 11:53:45 EST
Agree with Matthew White in most ways. Sometimes you just cannot avoid
hiring a professional designer and can ultimately save some bucks by
"doing it right" from the start. What is important is choosing whom it is
your going to be working with in the project. Rapport with a designer or
contractor is critical.

As an example, we worked with an exhibits designer out of the Boston
Children's Museum on the design and fabrication of a water exhibit. This
worked well because we spent a lot of time discussing exhibit approaches
and found common ground on some important issues, like low cost, sturdy
construction, and low ongoing maintenance (since we don't have an in-house
exhibits department for repair, etc.).

On the other hand, we have put together a lot of hands-on activities and
workshops ourselves, with good success. Probably the biggest danger in
this approach is "under building" in terms of durability, etc.

White's admonition about electronic stuff is worth noting. We have used
PC-compatible desktops in one of our hands-on rooms for three years now
with minimal problems, but I would guess that is an unusually good
track record. This workshop is used by school groups, with an occassional
public program.

Good luck.

Ed Pershey, Director
Tsongas Industrial History Center