From:
Robert Connolly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 20:44:31 -0600
>As much as it sounds like an interesting place to work, the
>Marion County Historical Society displays a stunning
>disregard for the professional it is seeking to hire. What kind
>of employer waits six months, to decide if you're worth
>insuring? Perish the thought that the new director might need
>medical treatment during the six-month trial period! He or she
>certainly wouldn't be able to pay for an apendectomy, lump
>biopsy, or pre-natal care on the salary.
>
>When we speak of raising salary standards, reasonable
>health care should also be included. As professionals, we
>deserve to be treated as human beings!

Please do not take this as a flame, but your point touched a
nerve with me.

Although I am sympathetic to the point raised on delayed health
care coverage, I don't think it is a matter of being a professional
that qualifies one to be treated as a human being, but rather
being a human being that qualifies one to be treated as same.  Prior
to completing my Ph.D. and embarking on my new career I spent 15 years
working in heavy industry where 6 month waits for health care have
been routine for years.  So to answer your question as to what kind
of employer does this - clearly a wide variety.  Whether one mops
floor or designs displays in museums, health care needs are the same.

Robert P. Connolly
Station Archaeologist
Poverty Point State Commemorative Area
P.O. Box 276