From:
HILDEGARD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 1994 08:37:10 -0500
A quick query to you all--
I am (finally, at last!!!) wrapping up my grad degree in liberal studies
(whilst working full time at the Weatherspoon Art Gallery), and as my
written comp. I have been assigned a wonderful project:

I am to design a theoretical exhibition which will feature our Cone Collection,
which consists mostly of Matisse lithographs and bronzes. In addition to
donating the foundation of our collection of modern and contemporary
American art, the Cone family established one of the founding industries
in this area, the Cone textile mills, so the Cone heritage plays a
rather major role in the Greensboro community.
My project is to create this exhibition, but taking into context not
only our museum, but the Greensboro Historical Museum (which has a display
on Jewish heritage in the area, and a some Cone family archives), and
the Greensboro Urban Ministry, which is a foundation for, among other
things, the homeless and battered, the disinfranchised.
My question to the list:
Does anyone have experience, or suggestions, as to how I might think of
ways to make a use of our collection meaningfull at all to the homeless?
I.e., has anyone worked with similar concepts? I do *not* want to assume
anything here as to how I might be able to predict how, Matisse lithographs
for instance, might make any difference in the lives of these people
who are, of course, as much a part of my community (if not more so) as
are the people who normally come into our modern white-walled galleries...

BTW, this is a written comp (at this point, though I could see developing
it into an actual project),with but a two week time frame for writing
and submitting, so I am looking for impressions, not in-depth research.

Thanks in advance,

Barbra Brady
Weatherspoon Art Gallery
UNC Greensboro