From:
Jim McCabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 15:29:49 -0400
We are preparing specifications for new insulated glass windows to be
installed in the Henry Ford Museum building.  We are looking at a couple
of options for UV filtering and light reduction glazing and are
interested to know what experience/analysis/thoughts others might be
able to share with us.

We are currently looking at two options:
*       A laminated glass composed of a plastic UV-filtering film
sandwiched between two sheets of tinted glass.  The performance
characteristics of this laminated glass are similiar to UF-4 plexi.
*       UV filtering film applied to tinted glass after the windows are
installed.

Has anyone done any studies or had any experience with the performance,
long term effectiveness, useful life etc. of either of these systems?
In the literature I've reviewed, there doesn't seem to be any concensus
on the lifespan of the UV films; have I missed something?  I've never
seen anything written on the laminated glass systems, though logic would
suggest they would last longer than the applied films.

The laminated glass has a single supplier and we are expecting to have
to pay a premium for it.  We are wondering what kind of fallback the
applied film represents if we have to start reducing costs.

Any good ideas outside of these two options are also welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Jim McCabe
Manager, Collections Care
Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village