From:
"Matthew A. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 01:42:06 -0500
>I am a graduate student in applied anthropology.  My interest lies in
>museum work.  Our institution does not have a museum studies program, >and I
am unable to attend a school where a program exists.  With this in
>mind, and knowing that I will have to design my own coursework in
>addition to the applied program, I was hoping that someone would be >able to
give me some ideas as to what might be useful courses to add to >my list.

(Reply pending while I put on my flame retardant coat)
As a person who has NO Museum "Classes" to my credit but graduate degrees in
both history and teaching, I am rather rashly going to recommend that you
take very  few "museum" classes, but focus instead on practical experience
such as internships, volunteer work, and low paying part time jobs that may
seem beneath you at first.  Once in these positions take on as many different
jobs and responsibilities as you can learning as much as you can along the
way.  Learn as much as about ALL aspects of the museum as possible, including
building maintance and janitorial issues. It is my humble opinion that this
is at least as good a preperation track(albeit more and harder work at
times), assuming you get an excellent graduate career in an area related to
your eventual museum work as possible, as going a more traditional "Museum
Studies" or "Museum Education" route.  And, and here comes the possible flame
bait, it will serve to set you apart from other applicants in the future.
 When hiring staff and helping others to do the same I can attest that for
every entry or mid-level position advertised there are literally hundreds of
applicants with a Masters in Museum Studies or Museum Education and many of
them have little or no actual experience.  A strong liberal arts background,
including evidence of scholarship, and a track record of successful museum
experience that includes continous advance and a willingness to be a team
player will put your name on the "A" list for all institutions save those
that require a specific degree as proof of entry into the profession.  I
think that a "start-at-the-bottom" approach will become increasingly popular
as public funds continue to dry up and small to medium size museums are
forced to hire people who can supervise more than one area, especially if
these areas are not necessarily related.

I know that this may not be popular considering that many on this list are
now or have been students in these programs, and I do not mean to denigrate
the value of that education, but my experience and that of many of my
colleages convince me I am right, practical experience is more valuable than
formal education in the job market and as an indicator of job performance
when hiring.

OK I am standing still, take aim and fire when ready.

MATThew A. White
Director of Education
Baltimore Museum of Industry
1415 Key Highway