From:
Murph the Surf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 18:34:17 +0100
Susan Hazan wrote:

> ... and yet... the perfect reminder to all us museum folk of yet another
> reason that our museums should be out there on the net with ... a vengeance
> !

I haven't figured out how Lycos is finding graphical images. I should
have narrowed my search terms to find just images of paintings of
Madonnas. But then I probably would have found all the images fans have
created to honor the contemporary manifestation.

Perhaps someone working in this area may know how Lycos finds these
images and how well it conforms to standards being established for the
description of art and architecture. There was some discussion of this
subject about a year ago.

The Cellini Madonna I found brought up only the image, no label. If
searach engines are going to find the .gif or .jpg file museums should
probably concern themselves more with putting label information in the
file itself, below or next to the image. I'm all for putting these
images out on the net, and find the odd contexts that result from
general searches interesting, but I think it's important that the best
possible basic information goes along with the image.

--
ROBBIN MURPHY, creative director, artnetweb
[log in to unmask]  -- http://artnetweb.com