From:
"Hart, John T" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:47:01 -0400
I agree that if you have loaded shells, you should contact local law enforcement. However, if what you have is cans of old powder contact a local gun club and determine what they do with misfired ammunition. When I went for (and received) my New York State Pistol Permit last year, we were instructed that with a misfire to take the ammunition out of the gun and place it in a vat of WD-40 which will basically kill the powder's ability to be used making it stable to transport. I would think that if you have powder, pour it into a tub of WD-40 and let it sit, then have a local gun club dispose of it as they would be doing on a regular basis with their own spent powder. However, if you have shells, absoultely contact law enforcement as they can trasnport it safely so that no one gets hurt.

John T. Hart, Jr.
Cooperstown Graduate Program
518-791-1538