Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 16:28:41 -0500

>bj

The Colorado Springs Museum is a municipal institution and has a strict
policy against political or religious events being held in the museum.  We do
not think it is in the best interest of the museum for us to get involved in
partisan politics.  It seems to me that  allowing politicians to make
speeches at museum events, especially during an election year, could appear
as an implicit endorsement of that candidate.  Aren't non-profits running a
serious risk in doing this?  We have had politicians attend events, but in my
time at the museum we have never had them make speeches.  Certainly you have
to weigh the benefits of sure-fire media coverage with the risks you run in
entering the fray.  If nothing else, during an election year I would think
you would want to offer time to both sides.

Having said all of this, here is the experience we had last week.  On Monday
we found out that vice presidential candidate Jack Kemp wanted to make an
address in the park surrounding the Museum.  We have no way of stopping such
an event in a city park, so we went along.  On Tuesday, the political
flunkies (sorry Andy Finch - nothing personal) organizing the event asked us
if they could *dismantle* part of our historic building, because a particular
lamp post would be unflattering to Mr. Kemp.  We said no, they moved the
podium, without telling us, to directly in front of the building, and as a
result we would either have to shut down or endanger museum security by
bringing the public in through less easily monitored doors.  I complained and
said I said I wouldn't accept that, and they went over my head to city
administration who told us to do whatever the campaign people wanted.  On
Wednesday, the day of the speech, the secret service agent in charge told me
"He thought we should know that they were shutting us down for the duration
of Kemp's visit."  Not only did they shut us down, but they commenced to hang
Dole-Kemp banners all over the building, and there was nothing I could do
about it!!!

This was a horrible experience for me.  I encourage you to stay clear of
politics because you can lose control before you know it.  Just a cautionary
tale.  Good Luck!

Matt Mayberry
Colorado Springs Museum
719-578-6650