From:
Katie Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:47:19 -0400
Last summer I designed and implemented a collections management database for
a local history museum in North Georgia.  I used Access because they already
had a license for it with their Microsoft Office package and money was tight
for this new museum.  The museum had three distinct collections (art,
archaeology, and antique hand tools).  I created one database which allowed
them to enter collection specific information (i.e. artist's name and tribal
affiliation) as well as information common to all collections (i.e. donor
name and accession number).  All of the data entry screens had buttons that
activated the donor information, the exhibit history, and the collections
care history for that particular object. If they wanted to accession art,
they would open the art page.  This screen had an additional button leading
to artist information which was in a separate table.

I also created a database for contact management.  This was much more than
just a computerized rolodex system.  One of the beauties of Access is that
it is easily integrated into other Microsoft packages.  I set up several
queries that they could use with the MailMerge function in Word to do mass
mailings.  I also designed the database to allow them to pull up a list of
people (volunteers, members, donors, etc.) who had indicated a particular
interest in various areas of the museum.  So if they needed help with a
garden in the living history village, they could pull up a list of gardeners
with the click of a button.  This database also tracked annual membership.

Lastly, I designed a database to use for facility reservations.  It had
fields for security, catering, a/v, housekeeping, etc.  So all the
information for any use of the facilities (whether by another department on
campus or by someone renting the facility) was on the form.  A hard-copy of
the form could be used as an invoice and to alert other departments of their
duties for the event.  By keeping it in a database, the person taking the
reservation could quickly check availability.  Financial reporting on
facility rental was also a breeze.

It took me about a week to develop all three databases.  As I mentioned,
they already had the software, so it only cost them my time (which, as a
graduate intern, was not much!).  I highly recommend a customized database.
I have found Access to be very user friendly, powerful, and flexible.  This
museum would simply never have purchased packages off-the-shelf to serve
these functions.  Also, many of the expensive ready-made collections
management packages have functions that most places never use.

My only concern with Access is speed.  I am not sure at what point it bogs
down.  So of the off-the-shelf packages claim to be the fastest thing going.
 I couldn't say.

Good luck in the search!  Please feel free to contact me if you have
questions about my experience with Access.

Katie Anderson