From:
"William S. Hanable" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:51:28 -0800
We (Westport Maritime Museum, Westport, WA) are experiencing changing
visitor patterns.  Visitation has fluctuated from approximately from 10,500
to 14,500 annually over the past five years.  We've been able to correlate
these changes to both external and internal factors.

Until last summer, our museum was definitely an "incidental" attraction.
Most visitors (less than 5 percent local, 90 percent from other Washington
communities, about 7-9 percent from other states and foreign countries) came
to our ocean-front community came to fish, or enjoy the beach.  Museum
visits were incidental to these motivations and occurred because visitors
saw signs advertising the museum, were told about the museum by local
businesses and residents, or simply walked by the interesting looking
building (a Colonial Revival former USCG Lifeboat Station).  The number of
incidental visitors fluctuated according to weather and fishing seasons.
About two-thirds of each year's visitation occurred in the months of July
and August, which usually bring good weather and the opening of salmon
fishing.

Last summer we received a Coast Guard license to offer guided tours at Grays
Harbor Lighthouse, which is about two miles from the main museum campus.  We
quickly learned that  many lighthouse visitors were coming to Westport for
the specific purpose of touring the lighthouse.  Even in dreadful weather,
the visitors still came.

Late last year (in December) we opened a new exhibit building at the museum
featuring a 100-year-old first-order Fresnel lens that the Coast Guard has
placed on long-term loan to us.   The lens stands 18-feet-high and weighs
six tons.  The exhibit, although not unique, is a rare chance for visitors
to see and photograph an operating lens.  Although our experience with the
new building and lens exhibit is limited, we have been told by many
visitors, some from out-of-state, that they have come specifically to see
the lens exhibit.

These changing visitation patterns are in part a result of the new
attractions, and in part a result of marketing on a regional and national
basis.  If we had simply created the new attractions and not spread the
word, it is probable that very little would be changing.

We are, of course, very interested to see what more experience will reveal.

Bill Hanable
Managing Director
Westport Maritime Museum