From:
Ashley LaVigne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2016 12:16:54 -0500
Hello All! **Please forgive the cross post between here and RCAAM in advance!!**

Some of you may know, I am a recent graduate (BA in History and a cert in Museum Studies) and muddling my way through a very large undertaking in a small county museum as collections manager/archivist/AD (generally a jack-of-all trades since our current director is planning on retiring within the next year). I have a lot to learn and I come to you with a question regarding copyright laws and newspapers. It is my understanding that I cannot digitize newspapers after the 1920s due to these laws, but I am curious as to how copyright laws work when sharing newspapers as artifacts in picture posts on social media, old advertisements, things like that?

Over the summer, shortly after I was hired, I created a social media outlets and a website for our facility to help gain us more exposure, advertise, and bring us closer to the community. We do "Artifacts of the Week" and with Pearl Harbor tomorrow, I dug out some newspapers from the collection with giant headlines of the attack that I would like to share, but unsure how the law restricts me in sharing these? Can I only photograph them and not scan them so the articles are not readable, even if only partially?

I also figured, while I'm at it, am I allowed to scan and share fun old ads from the holidays or other national headlines if the whole story isn't printed? Are these newspapers allowed to be photographed and shared? Any information or links any of you can provide would be helpful. I am very new to all of this and overwhelmed. Guidance is appreciated and I'm not ashamed to admit I need help!

Thank you!