From:
Kate Desulis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 09:24:36 -0600
On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, Vivian C.R. James <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am currently looking into having our collection photographed (4x5
>transparencies) and I was wondering what are the rates that others have
>encountered.  So far I have gotten all sorts of quotes from $110 per object
>(Yikes!) to $400 a day and buy your own film.  I'm also curious to hear how
>others have dealt with such a project and what stresses it causes the
>registration staff.

We handle the process of photographing our collection differently, based on
the use of the photos.  We have B/W inventory photographs of everything in
our collection, and these are shot by an outside photographer who
specializes in museum photography.  For long term storage purposes, B/W
photos are generally considered better than transparencies.

For other purposes, we shoot 4x5 transparencies or 35 mm slides, depending
on the quality needed (and the amount of money we have to spend).  We're
fortunate to have a photographer on staff who can take these pictures for
us.  This offers a TREMENDOUS cost savings and also time savings, such as
when you need to take a picture right away.  As far as the cost of the film
shoots, for us it varies considerably.  When we're doing a bulk shoot, we
can get a cheaper rate than if its just a short run.

Other items to note: We require someone with the photographer at all times.
When we're doing a bulk shoot, we have to keep track of which items are
being shot and in which order.  Trying to identify several items that look
alike from photos or transparencies isn't always easy.  Also, when moving
objects from storage to the space where they're being photographed, its
important to record where in storage they're to be returned to make the
flow simpler.  I hate to admit how many times I haven't done this simple
step, and regretted it later.

Hope this helps.  Best of luck with your project.

Kate Desulis

Kate Desulis                            (312) 322-0821 phone
Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum    (312) 322-2257 fax
1300 S. Lake Shore Drive                [log in to unmask]
Chicago, IL 60605                       URL http://astro.uchicago.edu/adler/