Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:29:36 -0600
The Indian Arts Research Center division at the School of American Research houses a collection of over 10,000 Southwest Indian Art objects.  The collection is housed in open storage, in order to make study and research easier (as well as conservation), but it also is an aesthetic storage, as we also provide public tours once a week and also set up tours for groups.  Thus, this makes us a strange kind of museum, as we don't have exhibits, but the collection is open to the public...

I'm not sure if this is the type of information you are looking for.  If you have more questions, e-mail [log in to unmask], or you can also check out the web site at www.sarsf.org.

Deborah Dodge Winton
Administrative Assistant
www.sarweb.org

>>> elizabeth nohra <[log in to unmask]> 08/30/00 09:14AM >>>
I am wondering if anyone can provide me with some information regarding
publicly accessible storage areas/collections.  I first need to know which
museums have a study collection on site.  If you have this in your museum,
know of them, or of a compiled list, please let me know. Please respond
through the listserv.  I know that the New York State Historical Association
has a Native American collection that is publicly accessible and visible in
the museum for researchers to use.  Any information would be helpful.
Thanks.

Elizabeth J. Nohra
Curatorial Assistant
Mahoning Valley Historical Society/Arms Family Museum

_