Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 23:22:25 -0400

<snip>
> a group of artists from the University
> of Louisville started "underground" art parties

The idea of a multi-media exhibition/party is a great one - I'm currently
curating/organizing a large event in Toronto which will feature 5 visual
artists (photographers, installation artists and sculptors) and we are going
to create an inter-active environment completely condusive to partying which
will also serve to highlight the artists' work. The purpose of an event of
this type is to make art a more inclusive component of a contemporary
lifestyle... for the 20 something crowd and everyone else --  I know plenty
of people older than 30 who know how to kick it ;-)  (LOL).

There will be about 4 DJs (Hip-hop and House) spinning on rotating sets
throughout the night and I'm looking into having a full martini bartending
service on site. (Whoo hoo!)  I'm 24 and I've been partying at events like
this for years but this is the first time I'm curating one of the "one-night
event" as opposed to regular exhibitions with an opening then runs for a
month.

In terms of museums/galleries getting in on this action, I have the
following thoughts to offer:

1)  there are serious safety/legal issues involved with a museum hosting
such an event.  I highly doubt any insurance policy will agree to this kind
of event happening in a museum.
2)  Unless the museum hires the right promoters to put the event together,
it will flop.  I don't mean to sound like a gloom cookie, but the people
that the institution is trying to attract will smell "cheezy" from a mile
away.  Unless the event can be guaranteed an ENORMOUS success, the bad press
will look really really dreadful.
3) Putting on parties is expensive - sometimes DJs cost more to hire than
the art sells for! And remember, if you're advertising in the newspaper, its
not underground.  Don't try to pretend to be something that you simply can
not be.
3) Commercial galleries are always more likely to make these kinds of events
successful... no one knows necessarily what to "expect" from them and thus
the public has no preconceptions of what the galleries should and should not
be doing.  People have grown to expect a certain kind of formalism with
museums... that doesn't mean its right but what it does mean is that any
attempt to change it overnight will appear contrived.

I think that if a museum wants to hook up with younger audiences they
should:

1) Make dedicated museum space to show art by new, young, LOCAL artists.
Two or three week runs per exhibition will keep people coming in.
2) Hook-up with local art schools and get their feedback about what they
think their generation, in their region, is all about
3) Show whacked-out avant-garde film
4) Don't shy away from controversial ideas.
5) Hire young people in the outreach and education departments
6) A fashion show is less rowdy than a party... hosting something like that
is more tangible for a museum environment. Here's an idea I just thought
of... put out a call for designers to visit the gallery and develop a line
of clothing that is inspired by the museum's permanent collection.  I'll
wager any money that the results will be mind blowing!  Oh yeah, the better
the prize, the better the entries.
7) get in touch with me off-list and I'll brain storm more ideas for you ;-)
*tee hee*

Christian Trabue also wrote:
> Many  people in their 20s feel uncomfortable in a typical
> gallery setting.

Hmmmmmm. I don't think I can say I agree with that.  I don't hang out with
an exclusively art-oriented crowd, though most of my friends are creative
(musicians, fashion designers etc) but art-lovin' or not, there isn't any
20-somethin' who feels uncomfortable where there is food and free (or
moderately priced) wine galore.  The number of students who come out to Hart
House (University of Toronto) art receptions is awesome!  If its the food
that brings them, its the art that keeps them!  Maybe there is a regional
distinction to be accounted for but where I'm coming from its the
20-somethings that feel comfortable wherever they want to go.  They take no
attitude and make everything they like their own.  They're cynical with good
reason because too many people think their eyes are closed when boy-oh-boy,
they *know* what's going on  =-)

Best of luck to you Amy in finding the solutions you're looking for.  I'd
love to hear your comments about any of the above, so feel free to get in
touch with me.

Cheers,

Milena Placentile
- Visual Arts Curator and Consultant
- Assistant Curator for the Justina M. Barnicke Gallery, Hart House,
University of Toronto
- Volunteer Educator and member of the Exhibitions Committee @ the Textiles
Museum of Canada
- Finance Officer for the Museum Education Roundtable Toronto