Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2011 07:21:39 +1300
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free web compendium,
read weekly by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

***   "I'm just always delighted with the content, and therefore save it for
my Friday lunch reading. I have learned much, enjoyed much, and continue to
do so. Thanks so very much for this wonderful addition to my week(s). By the
way - IMPOSSIBLE to choose a category of greatest use/interest" - User
Feedback   ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org  and click on the news links) in this
week's edition include:

**  With wraps off the art at new Denver museum, how good is Clyfford Still?
The museum's opening is like lost treasure from a sunken ship being
rediscovered and put on display, and that's why it has created such a stir
in the international art world

**  Neanderthals were too smart for their own good
Rather than being outwitted by the more numerous early humans, Neanderthals
were just as sophisticated - but so impressed the humans they were seen as
potential mates, say scientists

**  What should we do with "our" antiquities?
One year on from the collapse of the five-year trial in Rome of Marion True,
the former antiquities curator of the Getty, the directors of US museums
that possess antiquities collections and the curators who are responsible
for them face a multitude of challenges, one of which is the potentially
negative publicity surrounding claims for the restitution of artefacts

****  HAPPY TRAVELLERS - BEST FARES & DEALS FOR 2011 / 2012! ****
MUSEUM-TRAVELLER.COM  -  Global Museum's Travel Service For Business and
Pleasure - the  leading provider of online museum travel, established in
1998.
40,000 in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Group Reservations. Interactive Map
with the world's top festivals and events.
CLICK HERE http://www.museum-traveller.com - Use IE browser - Airfares, Car
Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and  Cruises!
Provideris EXPEDIA, a member of I.A.T.A.

**  The Tech Museum Unveils Futuristic New Gallery
The Tech Test Zone Gallery houses a range of mind-blowing prototypes - all
developed in collaboration with emerging designers, technology researchers,
and innovative companies - in a 1,000-square-foot space

**  Egyptian textile art from the time of the pharaohs to the Copts
The headquarters of the international logistic services company Katoen Natie
in Antwerp is to showcase the antiquities collection that covers 3,500 years
of textile art owned by CEO Fernand Huts and his wife Karine

**  17th century shipwreck found off Swedish coast
A shipwreck discovered in the murky waters of the Baltic Sea is believed to
be a legendary 17th century warship whose captain went down with it in
battle rather than surrender to the enemy

**  Going Up! Lunar Elevator Highlights Museum's Space-Tech Exhibit
A new exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History will highlight some
of the cutting-edge space technology in hand or under way, from a rover that
looks for life on Mars to an elevator that rises into space from the moon

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 367?
New LinkedIn Platform - Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet & Make
Friends, Share Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.
Become one of our first 400 members.  Join Today At
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Globalmuseum-3968927

**  Peru requests return of Paracas from Sweden
Peru has asked the Världskulturmuseet (world culture museum) in Göteborg,
Sweden to return its entire collection of Paracas mantles of around 100
items, one of the largest in the world

**  What do Cheap Trick guitars have to do with natural history?
The Burpee Museum of Natural History Executive Director told a tourism round
table this week that he is negotiating to bring Rick Nielsen's collection of
guitars to the museum next year

**  Stuffed animals are so old hat...
Skinned elephants, plastinated gorillas and preserved giraffes will form a
new and peculiar exhibit the Natural History Museum will receive next year
when the controversial anatomist Gunther von Hagens brings his latest
creatures to the British capital

**  Harry Potter exhibition casts its spell down under
The Powerhouse Museum's director Dawn Casey defended the inclusion of the
show in the museum's line-up, saying it was a good fit for the museum's
brand

TWEET TWEET - Follow Us On Twitter!   http://www.twitter.com/globalmuseum
61,554 News Tweets, 2,285 Followers worldwide and growing fast

**  Wedgwood Museum faces threat of forced sale
The case pits the museum against employees because of their pension rights
and it is feared that it may adversely affect other national museums or
institutions arising from charity in a similar situation

**  Dead Dog Comes Back to Haunt Artist
The New York sculptor Tom Otterness may be known for his whimsical and warm
sculptures of animals and cartoon-like characters, but in San Francisco a
lurid act from his past has come back to haunt him

**  Ancestors on parade in London museum
Two replica Australopithecus sediba skeletons were presented to the Natural
History Museum in London yesterday, the first of several that are to be
handed over to institutions across Europe

**  Waiouru Army Museum medal thief jailed
On October 6 this year Davies, a former museum employee, pleaded guilty in
the Wellington District Court to seven charges of stealing hundreds of
medals from the National Army Museum at Waiouru

Become a FAN -  Join 1,511 of  us who Like Global Museum on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

**  Samples of Einstein's brain come to Philly museum
Lucy Rorke-Adams donated 46 slides of Einstein's gray matter Thursday to the
Mutter Museum of the College of Physicians

**  This Week's Horoscopes
Scorpio - You had no idea People magazine had a list of the 100 Most Average
Bachelors, but it's still a disappointment when you don't quite make the cut

**  New museum exhibits invite touching, maybe too much
Exhibit designers probably didn't envision some of the ways kids would play
with features of this exhibit's features: at one test event, young girls
played hopscotch in the projected grid representing archeologists' strings

**  Close the doors on The Public
Branded as a 'new exciting arts centre' with 'digital technologies at its
heart', The Public was intended to regenerate the area through culture

@@@@  The Global Museum Daily Tweet. Global Museum's DAILY NEWSPAPER powered
by your museum tweets - Enjoy! http://paper.li/globalmuseum/1288898965

**  Museum Temporarily Shut Down and Locked As Police Investigate
The Lewis County Historical Museum is closed and locked as Chehalis Police
investigate the circumstances surrounding the complete drawdown of the
historical society's $460,000 endowment fund

**  Bronze artifact found on Alaska's Seward Peninsula
A research team is attempting to discover the origin of a cast bronze
artifact excavated from an Inupiat Eskimo home site believed to be about
1,000 years old

**  Museum Guards
Photographs by David Pizzigoni. Bagatti Valsecchi Museum, via Gesù, 5 -
20121 Milan

**  A World of Welsh Copper
By 1851 Wales had become the world's first industrial nation and the copper
industry was at its heart.

**  Visitor Studies Association Conference
Call for Session and Workshop Proposals: The Visitor Studies Association is
celebrating its 25th conference this year, and we hope that you will join us
in reflecting on our past, celebrating our achievements as a community, and
appraising our current work within the context of informal learning
institutions and their communities

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their
RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, the GM Social Network,
Museum Online Document Store, Podcasts, Museum Accredited Courses, Products
& Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org     First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

BLOG READERS  & MUSEUM WEB SITES - Use our  RSS news feed on your site, from
this address: http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/GM2/gm.xml