From:
Julie Kendig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:06:22 -0600
Yea!  Excuse me all listers, but I want to share this with everyone!
I am a graduate student in the Museum Studeis department at Baylor
University.
My thesis (in process) is entitled Knowledge Retention in First and
Third-Person History Museum Interpretation.  I have taken two living hisotry
sites, Log Cabin Village in Ft. Worth, third-person interp and Old City Park
in Dallas, first-person interp, and will compare the data from visitor
surveys based on information learned on a tour to the blacksmith's shop.
Yea!  Thanks for letting me share that.
Okay, as far as resources go...
Always start off with Stacy Roth's homepage (you can google it) and the
ALHFAM webpage.  Both have wonderful bibliogrpahies.  I definitely recommend
Vicki Green's dissertation from the University of Victoria, An Oral History
Field Trip... (1992) and Keith Dewar's as well, Sender Competence... (1991)
University of Waterloo.  While these dissertations do not exactly answer
your question directly (Green focuses on recollecting experiences and Dewar
focuses on the effectiveness of the interpreter) they will provide
background information.  Apparently, what you are wanting to know will be
addressed in my thesis--yea!  I will defend late May and the thesis will be
in print by August and available through Baylor library system.  Stacy Roth
also has a wonderful book entitled Past Into Present...
Also check the IMTAL website (International Museum Theatre alliance).  I
have a little information on museum theatre--as a BFA theatre performance
undergrad, I have definite interest in the topic as well.  Please feel free
to contact me off-list for more stuff [log in to unmask], and I might
even be able to divluge some thesis results to you!  YEA!
This e-mail really made my day!  I am so happy to hear about others'
interest in the same thing!
Sincerely,
Julie