From:
allynn wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 1995 11:44:28 -0500
Karen,
Sorry to post this to the whole list but I've tried two addresses for you
and both messages bounced back.

What a neat idea!  I'm a PhD student and my last name *also* happens to be
Wilkinson!  Perhaps we're related.  Anyway... I had to respond to this.

3) Is there something about water that you would like to understand a
little bit more?

Yes!  When I was young I read an article by Issac Asimov where he talked
about water's unique property of expanding whne it changes from liquid to
solid.  He claimed that this was important to the development of life on
the planet because it meant that ice floats and the bottom of river beds
remained liquid and protected.  The premise of that article has always
facinated me.  What other substances expand when they become solid?

On a different (but slightly related) note, I want to know why the ice
cubes in my freezer develop sharp upward points (like stalagmites).  Some
of these are nearly two inches long!

Sorry I can't think of anything for the other questions.

Allynn Wilkinson