From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:45:58 -0400
This may be a bit off topic but does have an historical tidbit that may
be of interest to some on the list.

I was very interested to read a small blurb in the news last week whose
irony really stood out.

It seems that there is a very real possibility that the legendary
"Northwest Passage" will open up in the next several years due to more
temperate weather (that's "glabal warming" for the vast majority of
us!). The article said that the US State department had fired off a
warning to our Canadian neighbors to the north that if the passage does
open that it is to be considered international waters and not under
Canadian juristiction.

For those who are not familiar with our history, the search for the
Northwest Passage drove a vast amount of the exploration of the North
American Continent. Lewis and Clark were sent on their famous trip to
search for such a passage, in addition to the more scientific aspects
of their journey.

The irony, to me, lies in the fact that a supposedly non-existent
phenomenon (Global warming) has caused the Bush administration to jump
up on their Monroe Doctrine soapbox because of the impending
actualization of what was a lost dream (the Northwest Passage) for so
much of our history.

We do live in interesting times!

Cheers!
Dave