From:
William Maurer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:25:13 -0400
The idea of having a place separate from the historic house museum for
archive space is a great one. The thought of having more room - if
affordable - is usually a dream for any historic house. I would also
consider that fifteen minute walk to the new building becoming the office
for your administration and research rather than a room within the house.
The electricity would probably support the copier and a spare computer
better than some place in the house. You would probably have more room to
spread out there too.

If you have had an office in the historic house museum, consider converting
the room back to what ever it was before. Usually you have plenty of
material and artifacts from the period to do this. If the idea of
interpreting the new room is no good - oh, no, not another bedroom! - how
about making it into a "trophy" room as we have done at Mill House. We have
taken all our "prizes" that couldn't or wouldn't be integrated or usually
displayed within the house's rooms - maps, deeds, "the denization",
genealogy charts, pictures of the house in its past lives, etc. and put them
into a gallery setting in one room. This room, by the way, was added on
after the period set aside by our Historic Structures Report.  Maybe combine
a small gift shop in there.

As far as the staff going to the new site for to support someone's research,
you and I have done enough research to know that we are at the mercy of
smaller house museums and historical societies as to the use of their staff,
hours and facilities. And, as museum professionals we can certainly
sympathize with them. Set up your research hours for times that would be
convenient for both your staffing and the public and make the hours for
research well known. There might even be some volunteer who would consider
sitting in an office building, answering questions and telephones who might
not like the facilities in the house itself.

How great it must be to be able to afford and to have nearby some additional
space! Good luck.

Bill Maurer
Director
Gomez Mill House