From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 08:48:37 -0500
(snip)
>        (2) sticking the label onto a piece of acid-free cardstock which is
>                either stuck inside the object or attached to it using a wire
>                or a string.  But what if the object is too small to contain
>                a label or has nothing to tie a string to?

You might consider putting small objects into polyethylene zipper bags and
affixing the label to the outside; but many objects should not be sealed in
completely, so we either use a paper punch to ventilate the bag or leave a
bit of the seal undone.

>Also, we're wondering if museum registrars still recommend permanently marking
>objects with an accession number (cf. *Museum Registration Methods*, p. 51-53)?

The important word there is "permanently."  This does not mean
"irreversibly."  We use the layer of B72, permanent ink, top layer of B72
method, which I understand is removeable.   If, as is all too possible, your
object becomes disassociated from its box, bag or tag, you will have to have
something on the object itself to let you know what it is.
Anne Lane
Curatorial Assistant
Museum of York County
4621 Mt. Gallant Road
Rock Hill, SC  29732-9905
803-329-2121 ext 122  *  [log in to unmask]