Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 10:08:14 EST
How about the Ailanthus tree?  I've also heard it called
the "tree of Paradise," or the "tree of Heaven."  This
exotic tree was imported (from China?) to support the
silkworm industry and is now one of the biggest weed trees
around.  I've seen them flourishing in very urban
neighborhoods (not necessarily smoggy, but...).  I believe
the ailanthus was the subject of A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN.

Good luck,

Marty Perdue
(I am not a botanist and this is not a scientific
observation).  :)