From:
Rusty Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:35:19 +0200
Our answer to this one is no.  We are a small museum with four galleries,
one of which is a regional, contemporary, member artist space with sales
policies.

The benefits to the artist who is invited to exhibit in a museum setting are
numerous, but compensation sort of fouls the water.  I can see sometimes
reimbursing artists for expenses, especially if they are doing site-specific
work just for you.  But I'd want receipts.  Ethically, I think if you did it
for one, you'd have to do it for all, and that would be fiscally
disasterous, at least for us.  So I hear you on that one.

Rusty Baker
Susquehanna Art Museum