From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:53:34 -0400
This may be a sensitive topic, so if anyone can provide any good advice,
feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask]
Over the past few years we deaccessioned a large group of paintings not
related to our mission, and smaller groups of other objects.  As a result,
we now have  restricted funds to be used toward purchases and conservation.
What's happened is that my collections committee has placed 70% of the funds
in a mutual fund, and 30% in a money market for use for purchases or
conservation.  I'm still not sure about this arrangement, but so be it. At
this point in time any serious conservation work on our fraktur collection,
for example, can chew up the 30% in a snap. They are looking at rolling the
interest from the mutual fund over into the money market, to have more
available funds.
Now they're talking about putting in the 70% in an endowment.  I have no
idea if this is the best way to go...so I told the committee I'd ask other
professionals for their opinion.  This is not a small amount of money for us
(we are small) and I think it makes everyone a little nervous that it exists
at all.  I can give more partitulars about the amount of money off list if
that seems important.
HELP!  I would like to see the end come to the seemingly never ending saga
of the deaccession funds.
Candace Perry
Schwenkfelder Library & Heritage Center
www.schwenkfelder.com