From:
"Gibson, Cecelia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:30:20 -0400
Please don't shoot the messenger!

I've been asked to post another question to the list regarding visitor
behavior in the gallery.  The list we are compiling will be used by our
Gallery Representatives as a guideline for what behaviors are acceptable, or
unacceptable in the gallery.  They can use the list as backup if a visitor
confronts them on a policy.  The following statement is in regards to babies
in the gallery.  We have noticed on several occasions small children carried
on a hip will reach out and touch an unglazed painting, or object on
display.  We would like to add the following statement as a means of
alleviating this problem:

"Babies must remain in strollers, if one is available.  If there is no
stroller with the child please ask the parent or adult to hold on to the
child's hand, and to make sure the child does not reach out and touch
objects on display including the framed works on the wall".

How have other institutions handled this issue?  Do you feel this is a
reasonable request?

Your responses are much appreciated!

Best,
Cecelia