From:
Elizabeth Ferrer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:18:36 -0700
This is the reply from my husband, an immigration
attorney.  Hope it is helpful.
Elizabeth Ferrer

Usually it is ok if they are entering in B status.

INA 212(q) Any alien admitted under section
101(a)(15)(B) may accept an honorarium payment and
associated incidental expenses for a usual academic
activity or activities (lasting not longer than 9 days
at any single institution), as defined by the Attorney
General in consultation with the Secretary of
Education, if such payment is offered by an
institution or organization described in subsection
(p)(1) and is made for services conducted for the
benefit of that institution or entity and if the alien
has
not accepted such payment or expenses from more than
5 institutions or organizations in the previous
6-month period.