From:
Helen Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:33:29 -0500
Hello all-

I am a museum studies graduate student at the University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, and only recently joined your unbelievable discussion list.
 Currently I'm working with the African American Cultural and
Historical Museum of Washtenaw County as a final project, making some
infrastructure recommendations for their all-volunteer operation.

Right now the AACHM is keeping a running list of about 130 members in
a word document.  They're interested in streamlining this list, and
having a format which could easily export data to create mailing
labels, or email lists, as the need arose.  They're hoping for a large
membership increase as they develop procedures for recruiting and
maintaining members in coming years.

What are their options for easy-to-use, inexpensive membership
databases?  I've talked to some small organizations which just use
excel sheets... what about File Maker or some other program?  What do
you all use and what is working?

Thanks so much for the help (I hope this hasn't been asked a million times),

Helen Dixon
PhD Student: Dept. of Near Eastern Studies
Certificate Student: Museum Studies
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor