From:
Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 11:34:16 -0400
>Eric...I usually quite enjoy your insightful (sometimes sarcastic)
>"non-professional" request for information. First, the term indoctrination
>is an unfortunate one to use for any profession. A sense of professionalism
>with fine basic skills and academic background is hardly indoctrination.
>Jane

The term "indoctrination" wasn't introduced into the discussion by Eric
Siegel; it was mine.  And I said, as near as I can remember, " ... I'm
almost tempted to use the word 'indoctrination' " or words to that effect.

I was aware of the connotation of the word -- ie. "imbue with a usu.
partisan or sectarian opinion, point of view, or principle" (Webster's New
Collegiate 1973), usually used in a rather negative way, hence my
hesitation.  I was afraid that the negative use of the word might be
assumed.

The primary meaning is still  "to instruct esp. in fundamentals or
rudiments" -- and that was what I was aiming at, although I might argue
that indoctrination into the ways of museum professionalism is not in and
of itself negative.

Although I feel somewhat guilty for having sparked some irritation, I am
not at all sorry I launched the topic.  Response has been quite
interesting, especially from the point of view of a librarian.

Mario Rups