From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 20:30:51 -0700
You know, the longer you hang around in circles that
discuss disability access, the more you learn there
are no absolutes and that which the EEOC posteth, the
Appellate Courts and/or the Supremes may just taketh
away.

I forwarded the original post to a mediator (read
attorney) friend on my disability advocacy discussion
group (we have a good overlay of politics, and Fridays
are usually Free for All, though someone may
successfully declare a Monday a Friday, LOL).  I told
her to respond if she wanted to, but no obligation.

She has sent her response to the original poster.
There is an out clause for facilities constructed
before 1993 that have not been remodeled.

A couple of Appellate Circuits have been less than
friendly to the disabled of late, and the Supremes
have also done a mixed bag of ruling on guidelines
heretofore established by the EEOC.  There is a case
many of us are watching for this year that revolves
around the topic of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Being a PWD myself (the term is shorthand for Person
with a Disability; those without are considered TABs,
as in Temporarily Able Bodieds--but remember it takes
one stroke of fate to move a TAB into the PWD
category), I wish it were more black and white and
that accessibility just didn't have to be the struggle
it's too oft becoming and for many years and far too
many people has been.

I am list mater to the discussion group below.  We ARE
a chatty group with a heavy overlay of politics, and
we are discussing world events right now, but there
are several attorneys and a number of advocates who
may be willing to give you feedback on the matter.  As
the rules of that discussion group indicate, something
suggested by one of the group's list members is not to
be construed as legal advice.

If you have accessibility issues you'd like to
discuss, you are welcome to join us:

Understand that we're a lot less "formal" than here,
and we get off topic quite often, but there are some
highly reputable resources to be found.  I am forever
learning from them.

In addition, you can find out more about issues
affecting disabilities and disability law in the
Topics section of my employment web site:

http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414

--- "<Doug Powles>" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Brad,
> The issue goes much further. We think access to
> buildings is for only the
> wheel chair bound citizens. It goes much further.
> Also access for the Blind
> and Deaf to the collections. Again, as long as you
> are open to the public...
> ALL CITIZENS MUST HAVE EQUAL ACCESS. There is no
> grandfather clause!!!!!!!!!!
> Again I urge all to read
> http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm
> Doug Powles