From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:18:32 EST
In my many years at Colonial Williamsburg we had a Product Review Committee
composed of various department representatives (Research, Products, Historic
Trades, etc. who would review proposed ideas and prototypes for accuracy and
compatibility with the existing product line. This worked very well because all
of the interested parties had a voice in the process and nothing could go
forward without consensus. Reproductions were sourced either internally by our own
historic trades staff, by craftsman contractors, or licenses were issued by
contract with large firms. Some of us in conservation were also part of the
process in being involved whenever anything beyond measurements and drawings were
involved, such a making molds from original objects or elements of objects.
Our department charged off our time and materials to products development fund.
I also remember hearing that a percentage of any product sales from
reproductions would go into the collections acquisition fund.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator