From:
"E. L. Wimett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 19:04:29 GMT
Verlag Dr. C. Mueller-Straten <[log in to unmask]> wrote in article

> As far as I know, MS does not tell users that it is confined to about
30.000
> objects. The more objects are stored, the slowly it will work. For larger
> museums MS Access does not seems to be a good idea. A real data base is
better.
> Or am I wrong?

Though our current database is nowhere near that size, I have in the past
run with tables of over 100,000 items and multiple relations to other
tables in Access with little trouble as long as the machine used has enough
memory.  (The speed limitations were definitely not legendary in the first
two iterations of Access though!!!)

I know several programmers who regularly use the Jet engine from Access as
a back end with Visual BASIC for mailing list, fund-raising tracking and
other similar files that large as well.

One nice thing about Access 97 is that it is very upwardly mobile.  If you
store all of your data in Access, it allows you to export to almost any
Windows program easily. If you decide you want to "move up" to SQL Server
or some other "heavy duty" database, the data conversion is almost painless
unless you are making significant changes to the data at the same time.

E. L. Wimett
Collections/Information Systems Manager
Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum