From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:15:16 -0700
I developed a collections management database years ago when PCs first
became available and before there was a commercially available product for
this purpose. The database worked well for our purposes. We were able to add
fields, change data displays, and output data in any way we could imagine. I
wrote a manual and was fairly diligent about updating the documentation when
I made changes. The downside was that when I left, there was no one on staff
with the programming skills or knowledge to maintain the system and all the
advantages of flexibility were lost. Essentially, there was no customer
support.

I highly recommend purchasing a product designed for your purpose (like Past
Perfect) instead of developing your own database (using a program like
Access). While you may have to make some compromises to fit your
institution's unique system to a standardized database, you will have lots
of advantages such as customer support, colleagues using the same system who
can share their tips and experiences, availability of regular upgrades as
technologies advance and needs become apparent, a system ready to populate
when it arrives, and a need for documentation limited only to your
particular practices.

I have not used Past Perfect. However, I have heard from people who do that
they can be very responsive to requests for new features.

Finally, this is solely my own opinion and not necessarily that of my
employer.

Susan B.F. Wageman
Senior Director, Evaluation, Planning & Research
The Tech Museum of Innovation     [log in to unmask]
201 S Market St                   408-795-6119
San Jose, CA  95113               fax 408-279-7167