From:
Ellie Elgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 22:43:33 -0400
On Tue, 15 May 2001 15:09:04 -0700, Ellen B. Cutler <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>It is an enormously complicated problem, but I think Michael is asking the
>right questions.
>
>The City Life Museums fiasco was a dreadful thing all the way around.
There
>was enormous historical importance to the group, as it reached back to the
>first museum, the Peale Museum, founded in this country.  It filled a key
>role in the Baltimore City schools' offerings.  It may well have been a
>victim in part of regional negativism toward Baltimore City itself.
>
>It could have been worse, I suppose.  The collections went mostly to the
>Maryland Historical Society and are therefore still intact and in the city.
>Some of the projected uses for the buildings are culturally focused and
>morally and socially admirable.  Historical status for the primary building
>with its re-used cast-iron front is a step in the right direction.
>
>Philadelphia has faced similar crises recently with historical museums and
>archives.  So have other cities.
>
>I myself feel dubious about the explosion of museum-esque non-profits.
Many
>new art museums (in particular) seem to be more about the donors ego than
>the quality of the art and the community's access to it.  Museum-type
>structures that are 40% or more entertainment venues seem to undermine the
>very notion that traditional museums are engaged (and must continue to be
>engaged) with the very unentertaining aspects of collecting, conservation
>and research.
>
>Yet the soul-searching as to mission and goals, what can be achieved and
how
>those achievements can/should be measured, is very good stuff.  If the
>survival of our cultural institutions/museum organizations is an ultimate
>good, then perhaps we should be talking more about whether the
manifestation
>that we have grown used to -- the building, a certain staff structure, a
>certain kind of programming -- is or is not itself the "museum that we are
>committed to saving."
>
>By the way, Ellie -- what happened to the City Life Museums was, in my
>opinion, a disaster and the treatment afforded all the staff was
>inexcusable.  It was a case-study ignorance and opportunism, and I am so
>sorry that you are your colleagues became victims.
>
>Ellen B. Cutler
>LNB Associates: writing, editing, research services
>Aberdeen, MD  21001
>410 / 272-1905

read "help"
>(without the quotes).
>>
>> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to
>[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff
>Museum-L" (without the quotes).

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-
faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by
sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The
body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).

I am glad that my remarks about the closing of museums is opening a
dialogue on Museum-L.  It was very sad what happened to us at City Life and
it did affect us.  Many of us still think fondly of our City Life Days.  We
all learned a great deal during our tenure.

The MHS not only inherited the collections, but also hired on many former
City Lifers.  MD Historical Society's collections,exhibition and education
opporturnities grew, thereby saving the collection for the Museum going
public.

The staff has moved on to different museums and we have taken many of the
concepts that we learned at City Life with us.  This has been a gain for
other Museums in the area.  We have been able to take the best of what was
City Life and bring that with us to our new sites.  Currently, I am the
Director of Education at the Baltimore Museum of Industry. It is a very
hands-on museum, much life City Life, which is ideal for school groups.
This is our largest group of visitors.  Next largest draw is special
programs for scouts and families.  I feel very fortunate to be able to
share what I learned as a City Lifer.  Also, that BMI Board and Ex. Dir.
are supportive of the staff and have realistic goals for the growth of this
wonderful site.