From:
Robbin Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 1994 15:28:01 -0400
Since I just took Exhibition design from Ralph Appelbaum I know
this place inside out, upside down. It is probably the most important
advancement in museum technology being built right now.

Robbin Murphy
NYU/Museum Studies
=========================forwarded text follows====================

NEWSEUM NEWS

        Greetings! If you get this message, and would like to continue
to receive updates on our project, please let me know at

        Let me introduce myself. I'm Eric Newton. I was Bob and Nancy Maynard's
managing editor at the Oakland Tribune from 1990-1992, a rich period
during which we were fortunate enough to receive more than 150 journalism
awards, including a Pulitzer, working  with the most diverse staff on a
major newspaper in the country.

        I'm now  managing editor of The Newseum, which, when it opens in 1997,
will be a one-of-a-kind educational facility, the only museum in the
world dedicated exclusively to news.  Because of your keen interest in
journalism history, I thought you'd want to know about this exciting
project.

        Here's our fact sheet. I'm happy to answer questions.

THE NEWSEUM

Who is building The Newseum?  The Freedom Forum, the world's largest
media-oriented private foundation, will operate The Newseum as one of its
major educational-outreach programs.  Allen H. Neuharth, chairman of The
Freedom Forum, is chairman of The Newseum Board of Trustees.  Charles L.
Overby, president and CEO of The Freedom Forum, also serves as president
of The Newseum.  The Freedom Forum is a nonpartisan, international
organization dedicated to free press, free speech and free spirit for all
people.  Other main operating programs are The Freedom Forum Media
Studies Center at Columbia University in New York City, and The Freedom
Forum First Amendment Center at Vanderbilt University in Nashville.
Other activities include:  journalism education and professional
programs; support for minority journalism students and education; and
international press freedom programs.

What is it?  The Newseum will be the first international museum dedicated
to the past, present and future of news, news media and press freedom.
It will include state-of-the-art interactive technologies that will
enable visitors to explore media-related history, processes,
personalities and issues at individual levels of knowledge and interest.
There will also be selected artifacts to help tell the history of
newspapers, news magazines, and radio and television journalism.  A
220-seat theater/auditorium will feature showings of The Newseum's
signature film--a 70mm presentation projected onto a large screen.  The
multipurpose facility will also be used for lectures, panel discussions
and other live events.

Where will it be?  On the first three levels of The Freedom Forum World
Center in Arlington, Va., adjacent to Washington, D.C.  Projected size is
55,000 square feet.  Besides exhibits and the theater/auditorium, The
Newseum will include classrooms, a store and offices.

When will it be built?  Construction is scheduled to start in 1994.  It
will involve erecting new structures attached to the World Center as well
as converting portions of the existing building into museum spaces.  The
Newseum is expected to open to the public in 1997.

How much will it cost?  The Freedom Forum Trustees have appropriated
$28.3 million in capital investment to build The Newseum.

How is it being funded?  The Newseum is supported entirely by the The
Freedom Forum endowment, established by newspaper publisher Frank E.
Gannett in 1935.  The endowment has grown to more than $720 million in
diversified, managed assets.

Who is working on the project?  Executive Director is Chris Wells.  She
is assembling a staff that is expected to number about 35 by the time The
Newseum opens.  During the developmental stage, the staff is being
supplemented by a number of consultants, including Ralph Appelbaum
Associates of New York City, the largest interpretive museum design firm
in the world.