From:
"Jill P. Dixon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:07:42 -0400
Trish is right! One thing here is that after a certain number of hours, they get a "plastic" name tag w/name engraved & our logo. (I should mention that we just have those plastic holder nametags w/paper for our student workers, community service 'volunteers' and students who are
volunteering for a class - these are our 'transients' and are not expected to stay long enough to justify a permanent badge).

We give away other volunteer pins (those hearts? or that say "I volunteer" at other stages). When we got to people with 1500 hours, we decided on a nice gold/brass engraved tag and the people who got those are so proud of them - it's encouraged those that were close to that 1500
amount to put in extra time because they badly want the "1500 Hour Volunteer" pins! At 1000 hours, we put up a wall plaque behind the desk with people's names and the month & year they accomplished that. As more get to that 1000 mark, their names are added to the plaque.

This year, we've also decided to recognize people for their length of service so in addition to "hours served" milestones, "years served" will get something. We usually spend about $300 on our recognition party (on gifts, food, transportation/tickets to our event if we go off
site).

Also, this year as our volunteers are putting in more & more hours and we have to continue thinking up new "milestone" gifts, we are adding "logo" items. We will be doing embroidered shirts w/our logo on them. They will cost us about $25 per shirt but considering the amount of time
that people give, it seems like they deserve much more!

Jill Dixon
SMC Museum