From:
Martha Otto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 12:52:54 -0500
For the past 7 years, I have been teaching (with the invaluable assistance
of 2-3 volunteers) a program we call DISCOVER ARCHAEOLOGY! to introduce
students (of all ages) to the science of archaeology and Ohio prehistory.
Teams of 2-3 students each excavate a 1-meter square of our simulated site,
measure and record the locations of artifacts, and map the artifacts and
features on graph paper.  Then they return to the archaeology classroom
where they identify the artifacts they have found and, using their notes and
maps, draw conclusions about what prehistoric culture their unit represents
and what activities were taking place there.  Each team reports its findings
to the class, after which we talk about the site in its entirety.  At this
point, they realize the site includes an Archaic camp and a Late Prehistoric
house, leading to discussions of the differences between hunter-gatherer and
horticultural lifestyles. The final activity is a tour of our permanent
exhibits that include a diorama illustrating the seasonal shifts of Archaic
settlements and a model of a Late Prehistoric village.

Our site and its features are fabrications, however, the artifacts we use
are actual specimens from our Education Collections of undocumented
artifacts.  The kids enjoy finding and handling "real" artifacts rather than
replicas.  Teachers receive a slide set and a short video tape providing
background information to show to their classes prior to coming to the
museum.   DISCOVER ARCHAEOLOGY! is geared toward middle school classes
(4-7), however, we have also presented it for parent/child workshops and
senior citizens.

Martha Potter Otto

Martha Potter Otto
Curator of Archaeology                          Voice: 614/297-2641
Ohio Historical Society                         Fax: 614/297-2411
1982 Velma Avenue
Columbus, OH  43211
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.ohiohistory.org