From:
Jill Chancey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:11:38 -0600
I'd like to second David Haberstich's excellent reply on the usefulness of
donor labels.  We are an art museum and always include donor information on
the credit line, or we might indicate that it was a purchase, or a bequest.
Basically the method of acquisition is included on the bottom line, just
prior to the accession number.  We don't allow enormous dedications and so
forth, but if someone wants to give a gift in honor of or in memory of
someone else, we will allow that on the credit line.  We are the only museum
in a small town, and I can assure you, our donors looooove having their
names on the wall.  If, say, Mrs. Clark's donation is put on exhibit, word
gets around, and pretty soon all the Clarks will come in to have a look at
it.  It's just good PR.   It's not a *condition* of the gift, but donors are
aware that it's our policy.  It's an easy and painless way to acknowledge
contributions, and encourage others to perhaps consider donating theirs as
well. A little healthy competition amongst the well-heeled in your community
might not be such a bad thing!

Jill R. Chancey, Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
PO Box 1108