From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 16:27:45 -0400
> The program I am in, for example, requires
>>either a thesis or an internship of at least 6 months.  Six months
>>is a long time to go without money.

But isn't that what has been expected of Student Teachers for at least as
far back as my mother student-taught (in the 50's) and there seems to be
no shortage of minorities willing to go into that field.  In my city over
75% of the tachers and school administrators are Arican-American. (my
numbers could be off, these were the numbers when  Istudent taught in
1993.  I think I'm in the ballpark.)  I am not saying making anyone work
so long and so hard for no money is a good way to run your professional
training.  I think it keeps a lot of talented people from entering both
professions.    Nor am I saying that certain groups do not have a
difficult time joining the education profession, but it is one of the
most culturally diverse (judging only from my impressionistic data, and
based upon no scientific studies) fields I have ever seen.  How do they
do it, and what can we learn from the experience?

Matthew A. White
Director of Education
Baltimore Museum of Industry
1415 Key Highway