From:
Peter Volk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 1994 20:12:42 +1000
Stephen Alsford has offered some thoughts on what we mean when we talk
about a "virtual museum." At the risk of showing my poor grasp of the
essentials of our profession, I offer my comments.

In essence, a museum consists of three things-

        Public displays, with some form of interpretation of the artifacts.
        Public information. ("What is this?" or "Whats it worth?" <sigh>)
        A collection or collections of artifacts or specimens maintained
for research or information purposes.

In order, I would expect a virtual museum to present displays planned as
thoroughly as real, solid, actual displays would be, with the same amount
of attention paid to presentation, labelling and captioning, theme,
message, etc. In addition the graphic images must take pains to give at
least as much impression of the object as could be obtained by looking at
the real object in a showcase. To mention only one very obvious thing, a
virtual display must give a true sense of scale of the objects, either
overtly with a scale bar or covertly with illustrations of the objects
contrasted with familiar items.

I don't see any real possibility of a virtual museum offering a public
information service, although it is possible that some software might
direct the questioner to a real world museum for advice. Indeed, if a
virtual museum was created as a cooperative venture between several
institutions, the software might be so designed as to send queries on
certain subjects to the institution strongest in that field.

I don't see any way a virtual museum could have a collection. The essence
of a museum is *objects*, not images or pictures. I can concieve of a
virtual library collection, but not a virtual museum collection.

What *isn't* a virtual museum? For a start, making your registers
available on the net doesn't. It just makes you a museum with net access.
This is, I believe, a highly desirable goal in itself, but it's not what
I'm discussing. Putting graphics of your items on the net doesn't make it
either. That is a virtual catalogue - a possibly worthy thing in itself,
but it's not a virtual museum.

I can concieve of virtual museum *displays* easily. Presenting a user
with a path of choices through a display, allowing them to stop and read
labels and gaze at objects in detail, providing additional information in
greater depth for those that are interested - this is standard multimedia
stuff. I believe that such things are already available on CD-ROM from
some institutions. There is no reason in theory why this can't be put on
the net as well.

My apologies for rabbiting on so much. If you got this far, you're either
interested in what I've said, or interested in burning me alive :-) In
either case, thank you for your time.

Peter Volk
Social History
Queensland Museum