From:
Robin Panza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 10:20:57 -5
> The program I am in, for example, requires
>either a thesis or an internship of at least 6 months.  Six months
>is a long time to go without money.

Certainly, a paid internship is a great idea, and something to strive for.
However, where do students get the idea that they are owed a living for being a
student?  You don't get paid for the courses you take.  You don't get paid for
the time you put in on a thesis.  Why do you expect to be paid for the
internship?  Most interns I've seen work less than 40 hours per week, and they
could easily have a part-time job just like when taking classes.

Students are getting an education.  They are being given a service.  Why should
they be given a wage for that privilege?  Yes, fellowships, grants, and other
aid are important to help those from poor families get out of that cycle.
That's a separate issue from being owed a living.  I met a student who
complained bitterly because he was only given $13,000 per year to go to school.
This is in a city where that much money can buy a cheap house!  He was not
teaching or performing any other services for that money.  That's simple
charity on the part of the university, and he was complaining that the charity
wasn't as much as he felt he was owed.  What a parasite!

Get real, folks.  Schooling, including courses, theses, and internships, are
training to allow you to get the job you want.  If you don't want to waste your
time getting schooling without pay, become a bank teller or a store clerk.  If
you want to get rich, become a TV star or a football player.  If you want a
museum job, it takes dedication and you get little pay, either during your
training or once you get a job.

I apologize for the tenor of this post.  You've hit a nerve with this thread
and I've been biting my tongue and sitting on my hands over all the messages on
this topic.  I could hold still no longer.

Robin Panza               [log in to unmask]
Section of Birds
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
4400 Forbes Ave.
Pittsburgh  PA  15213  USA