From:
"Susan B. Felker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 07:41:05 -0700
I am the person who supervises this position and I thought people might like
to know a little bit more about the position and our museum.

We are the state museum of natural history.  We originally were a private
museum but became a state institution in 1988 because Virginia had no
natural history museum. We are the only Virginia state museum not located in
Richmond. We are in Martinsville, a town located about halfway between
Virginia Beach at the eastern end of the state, and Cumberland Gap, at the
western end of the state.

Martinsville is near the North Carolina border and is a one-hour drive from
Greensboro, a little more than that from Winston-Salem, and an hour south of
Roanoke, Virginia.

We are currently located in an old school building, but are scheduled to
move into a new building in 2003. We are beginning the task of developing
new exhibits for that building--a little late due to a variety of reasons.
This offers the potential for an exciting experience working with an outside
design contractor and our curators.

Our collections number more than 21,000,000 specimens.

I believe in encouraging staff to develop their full potential. I like
creative ideas and prefer to give staff freedom to develop them.  A
self-starter who works well with all kinds of people would be the answer to
my prayers.

This is a new position. In the past, different individuals did part of this
work, but it is obvious that we now need a professional on staff.

There is the potential for advancement.

Susan Felker
Assistant Director for Outreach
Virginia Museum of Natural History