From:
Shannon Lindridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2014 15:30:51 -0400
I hope someone can offer some guidance.  I have a large number of paintings, by Emil Holzhauer who worked in pastels, conte crayon, oil, watercolor, gouache, and casein.  In my records, I have conflicting information as to which medium was used.  Does anyone know how I can tell the difference between watercolor, casein and gouache?  I have looked online for help in this area, looked at work of his held by other institutions, and tried to find similarities in style of the pieces we own, with no luck.  I usually can tell gouache from watercolor, b/c gouache is more opaque, but so is casein, so combined with the conflicting information in the records, I am completely frustrated.

Thanks in advance!

Shannon Lindridge, Regsitrar