Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 09:18:48 +12
Message:
I am currently employed in an archives institution as an Exhibitions
and Outreach Officer, which involves the curation of exhibitions,
coordinating the tour programme, editing the newsletter, presenting
talks to interest groups and assisting the public with their research
enquiries. I have a Masters degree (Art History) and a diploma in
Museum Studies. My aim is to gain work in the museum environment
either as a curator or in the interpretation field, and I of course
apply for the (few) positions that come up. My query is this: I may
have the opportunity to gain work in my current place of employ as an
archivist, which would be seen by my employers as 'a step up'. Is
this how such a move would be seen by others within the museum
community? Does experience as an archivist hold weight on a curator's
resume, or would it be seen as a sideways move? Feedback to the list
or to me personally will be appreciated.
Yours in confusion!
[log in to unmask]:smtp