From:
Denni s Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 10:24:30 -0500
We are part of the Volunteers in the Parks (VIP) program of the National
Park Service as an NPS-7 (Volunteer) organization. You may wish to ask
NPS about the national set-up for such organizations. We are also an
NPS-32 (Cooperating) Association (we run the museum store) and that
makes us a little different than pure NPS-7's.

We are a 501 3(C) public benefit corporation incorporated under tha laws
of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. We have an elected Board of
Directors who elect our officers. No member or officer can be paid. We
have about 140 members. In peak season, the Park may have up to 70 paid
employees.

We have a Coordinator for Volunteers from the NPS who has a small budget
to handle uniforms and related matters but we fund most of our own
activities. The Steamtown National Historic Site is a Living History
Museum running and restoring steam locomotives and equipment so the need
for volunteers is great. Our organizational structure reflects the Park
structure: Visitor Services, Train & Engine, Restoration, Curatorial,
Museum Store, Publications/Publicity and Special Events with a volunteer
manager and a Park supervisor (or Museum Store manager) in each area.

Applications come to us and are then routed to the appropriate Park
supervisor for consideration. With approval from us and the Park, the
person becomes a probationary member. The Volunteer Coordinator handles
and stores all paperwork for the NPS. We keep copies for our use.

The volunteer becomes an unpaid employee in a particular division,
reporting to the supervisor in that division. Each has a written job
description which can be modified by mutual consent.

The Park has traditionlly been very open to suggestions for improvement
and new activities from all staff, paid or not.

If you want more information, see our Web site or email me directly.

Dennis Martin, Secretary
Steamtown Volunteer Association
Steamtown National Historic Site
Scranton, PA