From:
Laurie Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 16:04:25 -0700
I am currently employed as a Research Assistant at the University of
Alberta, where I am putting together the readings for a new course being
offered next semester on exhibitions.  Professor Anne Lambert is offering
the course in the Department of Human Ecology.  The course will look at
the planning and implementation of exhibitions as a participatory
process, with a special emphasis on women's history and material
culture.  Two teams will be formed and will focus upon two different
ideas for exhibits:  something to do with domestic material culture,
probably laundry, and something pertaining to the women's movement.  For
that she is interested in the types of T-shirts which were made up to
commemorate rallies, benefits, or more tragic events like Marc Lepine's
murders of women in Montreal.  The role of these T-shirts
as symbolf, for example, is something Prof. Lambert would like to explore.
She is
 interested also in people's personal anecdotes about their activities in
the women's movement, etc.
We were also wondering if anyone knows of any feminist or gender-related
discussion lists--they don't necessarily have to be about material
culture per se.  If anyone out there has taught a similar course, or has
some ideas for references, etc., let me know :) Anne is not yet hooked up
:( and relies on her students for now...

Thanks for reading!
Laurie Hart