From:
John Suau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 11:26:00 -0400
I am currently writing my thesis on the new museum in Bilbao and have been
studying the project since negotiations between the Basques and Guggenheim
Foundation began.

The building is not controversial because of the designs, but rather the
enormous PUBLIC funds expenditures which have been invested in a PRIVATE
institution.  The region has 25% unemployment and suffers ongoing terrorist
activity which could jeopardize, in my opinion, the project's feasibility.

I have just returned to Washington DC after having attended the opening
ceremonies. A bomb threat directed at the museum and the King of Spain was
spoiled by local police, but not without the loss of the life of one of the
Erztaina.

Despite the fact that the museum is one of the most incredible architectural
masterpieces of Gehry, I question whether this ONE institution can generate
enough tourism to Bilbao, a decrepid run-down post-industrial nightmare.