From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:44:46 -0500
Dear students and prospective museum employees:

I guess the annual rite-of-Spring is starting early this year. Must be global
warming.

I don't usually post on this topic but I guess I have a bit of free time this
morning or I'm feeling easily distracted, or perhaps just old and cranky.

Welcome to the harshest reality of your chosen career:

THERE ARE NO JOBS and YOUR GRADUATE ADVISOR WAS CLUELESS

Yes, you will send out dozens, if not hundreds, of resumes.

Yes, the one job offered to you will not pay enough for you to retire your
student loan.

Yes, it will take you at least a year to land even that job.

Yes, you will have to spend your own money to a) travel to an interview; b)
attend a professional conference; c) get more training because your grad
school program didn't offer....pick one: hands on collections care, practical ed.
program development, fundraising training, exhibit design...

No one on this list has the magic bullet that will help you (or the hunderds of
your competitors who also graduate in June) get a job.

Your new full time job is job hunting and you have to be extremely dedicated,
smart, and lucky to find a good one out of the gate. You'll have to take a
crummy job to pay the bills, you'll have to live in a place you don't like, and
you'll be climbing uphill for a few years before you find a position that's a good
fit.

If you aren't prepared for this, find a different career.

Claudia Nicholson is always gracious and generous with her advice but don't
let that fool you. She said the same thing I did, only softer.

Check out Nathan Richie's blog if you want to commiserate with the like
minded:

http://youngmuseumprofessionals.blogspot.com/

I love my job and I've loved all of my museum jobs but I'd think twice about
entering this field today. I had to do all the standard things to get where I
am....unpaid internship, museum studies certificate as a post-grad, part-time
low paid job supplemented by bartending, first job in my last choice city
working for a nut, networking, networking, networking. Today I have a
wonderful position in a well funded institution that is redefining itself as a
progressive, community-focused organization. I love it but it took 20 years to
get here.

Good luck to you. It isn't going to be easy.

Diane Gutenkauf